All accidents can be a devastating experience for the people getting involved in it, especially if there were any serious injuries happened. Whether it is a truck accident, car accident, slip and fall accident, or any other accident, you may encounter certain injuries that can range from minor to major and even fatal. Hence, it is important to consider such accidents seriously.
California is a state that considers all types of accidents with utter seriousness. According to the laws of California, if you get involved in an accident, there are certain steps you have to follow. This is very important as it can affect the lawsuit you file for claiming money to compensate for the damages caused by the accident. These steps that are listed below might come handy to you if you or your loved ones get involved in an accident ever.
Steps to take
You have to follow some important steps if you get involved in an accident. This involves collecting the details of the opposite party, contacting the emergency services, collecting the evidence from the accident scene, etc. If the accident is caused by a hit-and-run driver, then try to remember about the vehicle as much as possible. You are obliged to keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, and also a cell phone, a notepad and pen. Also, take photos of the scene with your cell phone if you can.
Following are important steps you should take after an accident:
- If you not severely injured, then call 911 immediately and this will bring emergency services to your accident scene. Describe your location precisely for them to reach you faster. If you have GPS, use it to pinpoint your location.
- Make sure that all the people involved in the accident are safe and away from the traffic lanes. If the vehicles become inoperable after the accident, you have to seek the help of a tow service for removing them from the scene.
- Exchange information with the other driver including name and other contact details.
- Contact your insurance company. Make sure not to admit the guilt or divulge any information that could jeopardize your claim.
- File an accident report at a police station or with the California DMV online.
- Do not make any settlements before consulting your lawyer.
- Access your injuries and property loss for submitting them to your insurance company.
When selecting a lawyer for filing a claim in the court, make sure that you select an attorney who practices in your particular area. For example, if you get involved in a truck accident, it is better to consult a truck accident attorney rather than any other attorneys. It will help you to ensure that the lawyer you select has enough experience and knowledge in your specific field. Visit https://davidovichlaw.com/ for finding the best attorneys who have experience in different fields including car, truck, motorcycle or any other type of accidents.